For all you poison lovers out there...

D

Dune Echo

Found this quote on this webpage, check it out:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/advanced/6e/C6EFAQ.txt

A player writes:
There are a ton of other issues you didn't address: Poison cards, Banding,
Trample, etc. How about why broken cards get pass the R&D team.

Response

We haven’t made poison cards recently. Poison isn’t be part of Sixth
Edition. We do have future plans for poison. You will see it again.
COOL!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Dune Echo, it seems you're participating more now and getting back into Magic? Since all of this 6th rules stuff seems to be new to you... do you have more time on your hands now? :)

E

Ephrils

I think the best poison counter card made was Swamp Mosquito :cool: A lot of poison cards paralleled their damage with poison counters like Marsh Viper, which gave 1 counter and dealt 2 damage, in the end, if it hit you 10 times you were dead from damage anyway. I'm almost positive I'm confusing this card with another though. Anyway, the Mosquito dealt no damage(0/1 flyer) and gave poison counters if it was unblocked. Great card, subtlely damaging.

D

Dune Echo

I haven't played a game of Magic at all in about 9 months. I still buy cards, I'm still fascinated by the game, but I haven't played. There's no one I know that plays anymore in anything but Type II or Limited, neither of which my finances can support right now.

And since everyone was saying something about me not saying anything lately, I thought I'd just start throwing out random thoughts or anything I came across that are of interest to other players.

There's an interesting idea for poison counters in this article, check it out:
http://www.pojo.com/Magic/Featured Writers/Treehouse/052301.html

L

Lotus Mox

I remember that Tempest was supposed to be the Poison expansion, but then they decided to not use it.

So maybe Odyssey will contain all the rejected poison cards from Tempest?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dune Echo: Get together with rakso, Mundungu, or kraushaii. Those are three off-hand who use older cards (Capt. Caveman too?)

:)

T

theorgg

I hope that poison does pop up again. It's an alternate win that's easy to accomplish and fun, too.

I've actually saturated a couple of people with poison.

I havn't been able to do it since I got my poison counters, though...

(THANKS, GERODE!)

Banding is an ability that should be reprinted soon. It's extremly good in the current enviroment-- and it's an extremly cool ability. Bands with X should be used, too.

Can you imagine a Bands with Goblins card? 1/1 goblin for R with Bands with Goblins would be awesome!

Bands with X, for those of you who don't know what it is, is the following: The creature with the ability can band with any number of the appropriate type, whether they have banding or not. Pretty sweet, huh? When blocking, if the abilitied critter has another creature of the appropriate type(not itself) it counts as if you had one Banding creature in the blocking assignment.

I block your shivan wurm with enough goblins to kill it, AND... my raging goblin dies. Tank U, comeagainsir.

I

Istanbul

Banding was originally out of the basic set because it was confusing. And, stated as it was stated, it WAS odd. Part of how you knew you were Good At Magic was if you understood how banding worked.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
theorgg: Are you talking about 'Bands with Other' when you say Bands With X? Because it doesn't operate that way at all... to band, you still need to have the creatures involved either have Banding or the same Bands With Other. You can't just band willy-nilly with any of the creature type if they don't have banding.

R

rkoelsch

but I don't think it will happen. I think the en-kor damage sharing ability was a fix for banding and I think it actually works better. Unless there is some hugh outcry(I wouldn't hold my breath), what banding cards we have are all there will be.

T

theorgg

That's what I originally thought, that it was a limited banding ability.

I was looking through John Loniak's new seventh edition rulebook (the ones that havn't really come out for the public yet) and looked up "bands with Other."

Instead of saying that" Bands with X is a special set of rules that limits the creature types that can be banded with" It actually told the whole rules for it, which is as I described.

If you're one of the 8% of people who know exactly how banding works, NOW you're one of the 5% of the 8% who knows what bands with other(or with X, if on a non "other" creature) means.

I thought it was a stupid ability, but it turns out to be a farily well-thought out one.

L

lilpinhead

in the back of my mind i have always had a Poison deck running around.....maybe this could be the beautiful lil jump start that i need to actually take this thing from my head to "reality"...time will tell i guess

E

Ephrils

Maybe Benalish Hero will see the light of day again :cool: Banding was fun to use, I have a huge, like 180 card banding deck right now, and I carry around a 4th Edition rule book so I show people exactly how it works when I do all the damage distribution stuff :p It's a good thing Trample is done last, then that'd be confusing as all hell.

N

Namielus

put a sock in it for....

Banding = A Good Thing (tm)

Posion (as we have seen it) = A Bad Thing (tm)

Z

Zadok001

Poison was always funny. :) I'm looking forward to a minor poison theme in an upcoming set, but I don't want it to be major.

E

ErinPuff

Yeah, poison's cool, but I don't want to see a whole set based around it.. I don't really like how recent sets have had such major themes.. a minor theme of poison would be neato, though.

M

Mundungu

Could be cool if "poison" or something similar had some peculiar, more game altering effects.

What something like
Mental Poison.

For each "mental poison" counter a player posses, his max hand size is reduced by one card.

e.g : 2 poison counter = max hand size of 5.

Or poison should stay the same but generate more continuous effect.

At end of turn, the active player looses 1 life for each poison counter, he/she possesses.

Stuff like that, instead of a alternative to life loss.

D

Dune Echo

Hey Mundungu, check out that article posted on the Pojo. The guy had some great ideas.

P.S. Did anyone find a copy of the new Magic magazine the Pojo released? I couldn't find it anywhere. Had a great cover though.

I

Istanbul

I've read the new Pojo magazine.

Aside from being riddled with errors...
...and having poor production values...
...and the people not knowing what they're talking about...

...the magazine is a mediocre reflection of what Duelist once was.